***Many different drugs and drug classes have
been reported to cause problems in Collies and other herding breed dogs that carry the MDR1 mutation.
Aussies and other herding types (Collies, Border Collies, ACD's and Shelties) can have certain drug sensitivities. Aussies should never be given any of the drugs listed below.
***** Please note Heartgaurd is on the list and can cause seizures in aussies.
***** Never give Heartguard to an Aussie, choose Interceptor instead.
Also note not all vets are familiar with this list or the MDR1 mutation.
DRUG NO NO's
Drugs that have been documented, or are strongly suspected to cause problems in dogs with the MDR1 mutation:
* Ivermectin (antiparasitic agent) "Heartgaurd"
* Loperamide (Imodium®; over-the-counter antidiarrheal agent)
* Doxorubicin (anticancer agent)
* Vincristine (anticancer agent)
* Vinblastine (anticancer agent)
* Cyclosporin (immunosuppressive agent)
* Digoxin (heart drug)
* Acepromazine (tranquilizer)
*Butorphanol (pain control)
Your dog can be tested for the MDR1 gene, for more information Please go to: